Dragon Gate Inn
Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:22 PM
The original intention of DGI was to have a place forummers can relax and simply socialise etc. Its good and did serve that purpose well.
Whenever the admin team quotes stats about how well the CHF is doing in terms of number of members hits etc, unfortunately while the majority may have a causal interest in history most are not interested enough (and lack sufficient knowledge but this is really an excuse) to take part in the historical areas. Thus DGI is a natural forum to post to because 1) You dont need any knowledge beyond an ability to communicate in English 2) You can have really simple replies.
forummers also tend to (whether they admit this or not) to see DGI as a quick and easy way to increase post-counts. So they do it.
Unfortunately this is true of forums with a large population and demographic everywhere. It does serve the purpose of making CHF very prominent on search engines and attracting eyeballs, members etc. and build a social community.
One downside that can be seen whenever policies are made to discourage posting to DGI etc, forummers complain loudly, threaten to leave etc. dismaying others. Their unhappiness is genuine and it is because CHF, while a historical discussion forum in name, to them personally is really a social/chat forum. Consider all the various ranking systems where even the moderator status is won like a badge, CHF for some forummers is really more akin to a Massively Multiplayer Online Game.
The purpose of CHF is first and foremost for the studying Chinese history and CHF need to be run with this group as a priority. This core group may well only comprise less than 20% of all forummers but if CHF does not cater to them first an foremost and its focus changes to serve the other 80% then you risk losing your core audience. Then, CHF may well wear history as a window dressing.
Please accept thanks from this member for a posting of great merit. Well said, well done.
I wonder if a poll were taken if it would end up proving the "inmates were running the asylum"?
Han Fei Tzu
Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:27 AM
Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:34 AM
"夫君子之行：靜以修身，儉以養德；非淡泊無以明志，非寧靜無以致遠。" - 諸葛亮
One should seek serenity to cultivate the body, thriftiness to cultivate the morals. If you are not simple and frugal, your ambition will not sparkle. If you are not calm and cool, you will not reach far. - Zhugeliang
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users