Looking for translations in any European language of Yuan Shi, particularly the biographies of religious figures, and biographies of Mongke Qan (Khan) and Qubilai Qan (Khubilai Khan).
Hope you can help.
The Yuan Shi in whole was not translated to any of the western language so far, however the biographies you are talking about could be found in these books/articles:
1. Rachewiltz, Igor de, et al. In the Service of the Khan: Eminent Personalities of the Early Mongol-Yuan Period (1200-1300). Asiatische Forschungen, 121. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz, 1993. Price around Euro 100,-
2. Rossabi, Morris, Khubilai Khan: his life and times. University of California Press, 1988. Price around US$15-20. It is not direct translation of YS, but it is still very useful.
3. Cleaves, Francis-Woodman, The Biography of Bayan of the Barin in The Yuan Shih, HJAS, Vol. 19, No. 3/4. (Dec., 1956), pp. 185-303.
4. Munkuev, N., Kitaiskiy istochnik o pervyh mongolskih Khanah (Chinese source on the first mongol Khans), Moscow, Nauka, 1966. Here you also can find the biography of Yelü Chucai, taken from YS, chapter 146. Price around US$100, very hard to find item, although it could be find in internet as a text file.
5. Khrapachevsky R.P., Zolotaya Orda v istochnikah (Golden Horde in sources), vol.3, Chinese and Mongolian sources, Moscow 2009. Price around US$30.
Biographies of Chingiz, Ögedei, Guyuk, Möngke, Jochi, Subedei, etc. taken from YS.
If you have more questions - please, feel free to ask.
Edited by 宝泉提举司, 11 October 2009 - 03:57 PM.