Now according to the pronunciation of Old Chinese, which was used during the Zhou Dynasty (1122/1121 - 256 BC), Shang Di is pronunced as "Zhandai" or probably "Shandai", similar to the pronunciation of the word in today's Catonese dialect. (Catonese speakers here verify this for me, how do you pronunce 上帝?)
Cantonese of Shang4 di4 =seung6 dai3
but Cantonese is not ancient enough. The second Yin category shows that there were no voicing. In Middle Chinese it was not d-.
copying from Starostin's Old Chinese reconstruction, it shows something like
by the way I never heard of Chinese deity as "supereme creator".
1. The Judaic God is the Creator of the universe. So is Shangdi. Read the wikipedia entry on Shangdi. Shangdi is not a human being. You have confused Him with the "jade emperor", which is a later Buddhist invention.
From another thread I saw you wrote you have edited the Wikipedia entry majorly... But by the way Jade Emperor does not seem Buddhism invention.. More like Dao or Confucian.
And how could Jade Emperor be human being?
2. Shangdi was not "invented" by Daoism. Read the wikipedia entry on Shangdi. Shangdi is China's earliest deity, dating back to more than a thousand years before Daoism came into existence.
Hm... Isn't it "Tian" that is the earliest "deity"?
3. "Shangdi sharing authority with Buddha" was a much later Buddhist invention. Buddhism wasn't around when Shangdi was first worshipped.
I've never heard anyone worshipping Buddha as "supereme creator of universe".
4. If the "lores" are merely myths that do not reflect on reality, then the "lores" are ultimately meaningless and useless no matter how "fun" they are. "Fun" is not a criteria when searching for the Truth. "Journey to the West" and "Feng Shen Yan Yi" are just novels, perhaps interesting to read, but have no real significance.
The two "novels" were made by "altering" the true stories.
The Bible on the other hand, is not meant to be read as a fatansy novel. That is not the purpose of the Bible.
Yeah, the bible is supposed to be a serious story book.
5. Shangdi govern over a multitude of natural and ancestral spirits who act as His ministers. In a similar way the Judaic God also govern over a multitude of angelic beings who act as His messengers.
never heard of this.
Edited by qrasy, 08 November 2005 - 04:11 AM.