The castle was originally called Kyeongduk 경덕궁(慶德宮) but changed its name to Kyeonghee 경희궁(慶熙宮) under King Yeongjo in 1760. This castle was used during repair period of main castle, however King Yeongjo used extensively mainly because he's original home were near this west gate.
Sadly, there are only few buildings are left today as Japanese government destroyed most part of the Castles during the occupation. This Castle were once joined with Changkyong castle which is also near this Castle.
The restoration of this castle went ahead during 1988, some of projects have to be called off since many of sites are now part of the city blocks and CBD, including Silla Hotel, Korean government asked Japanese government to return parts of the castle which was removed during 1926 where many of Castle building sections and objects were disassembled and taken to Japan. Now some of them are held at various Japanese temples and castles.
Also during this point, all ancient Korean Kofuns were opened and various cultural items were shipped to Japan. Now all of them have been displayed at Japanese museums.
Here are some pictures:
Overview of the Kyeonghee castle:
Original painting showing the whole buildings of Kyeonghee castle:
more pictures be posted.
Edited by SNK_1408, 08 January 2009 - 12:58 AM.